Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Would moving back into the marital home after one -yr separation ( for financial reasons) be considered reconciliation even if my husband and I have no intent on reconciling? I live in MD and will be filing for divorce.

Asked on 6/16/13, 5:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Brown Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. One night together, even if in separate bedrooms, etc., would restart the 1-year clock. You might be able to get a "limited divorce" under the circumstances, but that's very likely not what you're after. We all understand the economic situation everyone's under right now but if you spend the night there you'll fail the requirement of a 1-year separation required for an absolute divorce.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/13, 5:19 pm
G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Although this would negate the one year separation requirement, you may have other grounds. The requirement is one year of separation from "bed and board" which means both the bedroom and the house. There are steps you should be taking now.

Read more
Answered on 6/16/13, 5:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now