Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/11/13, 5:30 am

I have an ongoing child support case I'm in the middle of. I need to know how or even if I can subpoena employment records from a company concerning my ex 's work history & disciplinary redord. See, he is vol impoverished but claims he isn't. He quit his $44 / hr job and went to work for $9/hr at a different company that didn't drug test he doesn't want to pay his child support. I can't afford a lawyer, I wish I could. But the judge said I needed this employment info for proof in court even though my ex freely admitted everything to the states attorney before court. Please help.

Thank you

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/12/13, 7:09 am by Robert Sher

You can use the pretrial discovery process to demand documents about work history, pay records, etc from your ex. Obviously you don't know how to do this, and this is why you need to engage the services of an experienced family attorney. Contact the lawyer referral service of your county bar association to see if you financially qualify for a reduced fee or even a pro bono (free) attorney. You can also subpoena the former employer to come to court with your ex's pay records, although this wouldn't be necessary if your ex stipulates as to his former income. If you are properly prepared for court, you should be able to easily establish that your ex's earning ability is sufficient to justify retention of his current child support obligation or something close to it.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Wagshal and Sher 4824 Edgemoor Lane Bethesda, MD 20814

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search