Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Opening spouse's mail

My impatient wife began receiving calls, letters, and packages from other men before I was even able to get out of the house. Is there a legal problem for me if I open mail addressed to her that arrives at my family's mailbox? I could conceivably photograph the contents as evidence after ''steaming open'' a letter or something and then re-seal it. Are there violations in privacy or postal laws for actions like these?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: Opening spouse's mail

It is illegal to open someone else's mail without their permission. Your better course of action is to ask her about them. If you think this might become the subject of a divorce, keep a record of what she receives and from whom, based upon return addresses on the mail.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland