Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I received my ex husbands tax refund. I wanted to know if he filed jointly with his new wife, could she contest it? If so, is there a time frame to claim a hardship? Also are state and federal refunds garnished for back child support?

I live in Maryland & he lives in Georgia.

Asked on 3/28/13, 11:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the check is made out to him it is his to negotiate. If they had filed a joint return it would have been payable to both. If you are owed child support you need to file court papers in MD if that is where the support order was issued. If it came from GA or another state and your minor child is in your custody you need to have the out of state order "localized" to be able to get a court order, or you can do it in the other state. Tax refunds can be garnished for child support but first you have to have a judgment and then file it with IRS or the appropriate state tax agency before they issue a refund, so it's too late to do it for the check you received. However, you could use it as a negotiating tool to try to get some support money from him. He might find that easier than trying to get a reissued check.

Read more
Answered on 3/28/13, 1:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now