Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

if i represent my self in a contested divorce, custody and property case and lose (or, at least have terms that I am not happy with), can I immediately appeal the verdict? Or is it a final verdict?

Thomas Brown Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC

Whether you represent yourself or not you can certainly file an appeal. Keep in mind that your representation (self or by attorney) would not normally be grounds for the appeal. Seeking review by an appellate Court is about pointing out where, as a matter of law, the lower Court got it wrong. I.e., there's a point of law about which the judge was mistaken or misapplied it in the case. There are also procedures you must follow to even preserve an issue for appeal -- making sure the lower Court record contains your objection, for example. Simply put, appellate review is not like asking for a new trial. It's focused on a very narrow question -- did the lower Court make a legal mistake. That's about it.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland