Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/14/11, 3:51 pm

if i represent my self in a contested divorce, custody and property case and lose (or, at least have terms that I am not happy with), can I immediately appeal the verdict? Or is it a final verdict?

1 Answer

Answered on: 2/14/11, 4:31 pm by Thomas Brown

Whether you represent yourself or not you can certainly file an appeal. Keep in mind that your representation (self or by attorney) would not normally be grounds for the appeal. Seeking review by an appellate Court is about pointing out where, as a matter of law, the lower Court got it wrong. I.e., there's a point of law about which the judge was mistaken or misapplied it in the case. There are also procedures you must follow to even preserve an issue for appeal -- making sure the lower Court record contains your objection, for example. Simply put, appellate review is not like asking for a new trial. It's focused on a very narrow question -- did the lower Court make a legal mistake. That's about it.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC 22 West Jefferson Street Suite 401 Rockville, MD 20850

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search