Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Statue of Limitations

I was wondering if there is a statue of limitations when it comes to getting a divorce in the State of Maryland? If so how long is considered appropriet to make a client wait for one? ALso is there a cap as far as what can be charged?

Thank you

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: Statue of Limitations

There is no statute of limitations for divorce, as that term is commonly defined. To qualify for an uncontested divorce, you must be separated by consent for at least 1 year, or without consent for 2 years. But you could be separated for 20 years and decide to get a divorce if you wanted to. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "make a client wait for one". If the divorce isn't contested on issues such as property division, children or the grounds for divorce, it should only take a few months once filed and the papers served on your spouse. Regarding fees, it's whatever you and your lawyer agree upon. But if there are no real issues and the divorce is purely uncontested, it shouldn't cost more than $1000, plus court costs, and probably somewhat less.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland