Maryland  |  Family Law

My ex has only visitation rughts to our 2 children. On several occasions he has unsafely transported the kids by buckeling 2 kids in one seat belt or having kids sit on each others laps due to too many people in the car. I filed to modify visitation today. My question is do I have the right to withhold his visitation due to his lack of satefy concern and kids over all well being? Or can I be held in contempt?

Answered on: 7/19/13, 6:55 am by Robert Sher

Legally you don't have this right, but I doubt you would be sanctioned for acting in the best interests of your children. You could request an emergency hearing on this issue so you could go before a judge hopefully before the next visitation day to get a court order prohibiting him from doing this. The problem is enforcement of course, but if you can rely on your children to tell you what he's doing that should help.

Wagshal and Sher 4824 Edgemoor Lane Bethesda, MD 20814