Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

My ex wife is unable to get a car that is in our names refinanced and she wants me to continue to pay the car insurance, which there was never an agreement, and if I don't she is going to get her long time friend to represent her for free while I get stuck paying for legal fees which she know would cost more then the insurance. I have been out with her friend and her on several occasions throughout the seven year marriage so my question is would her friend be able to represent her or would that be a conflict of interest?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

If you were not obliged by agreement or in the divorce judgment to pay for the car insurance, you have no obligation to do so. You should sign the title to the car over to your ex so that you no longer have any ownership responsibilities. It wouldn't be a conflict of interest for the friend to represent her, but I doubt you'd be required to pay her legal fees in such a proceeding, especially if she is in fact not charging your ex.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland