Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

contractor abandoned job unfinished

We hired a contractor to removed old driveway & sidewalks and replace with new concrete. We gave him $5000.deposit at start of job. He ripped out everything, left a pile of dirt in the street & has never returned despite repeated calls & promises from him. What is our next step legally?

Asked on 11/27/06, 10:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Holzman The Holzman Law Firm, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: contractor abandoned job unfinished

Sue him in small claims court; you should also make a complaint with the Maryland Home Improvement Commmission. Check your paperwork. Given the price you were charged up-front (was that the entire contract price?), it may very well be that he was not licensed.

small claims court is a place where you can bring claims under $5,000.00 and the rules of evidence etc. are relaxed so that you do not necessarily need to have an attorney represent you.

Read more
Answered on 11/28/06, 1:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now