Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

Hello. My husband will have a large family reunion coming up soon. I plan to file a civil assault report on my sister in law that hit me two years ago. She has bullied me for nearly 30 years. We haven't seen her since her assault. My husband doesn't like the idea of me considering filing a report. He is concerned that his family will cut ties with him if I do file the report. Should I let it go?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

The statute of limitations on filing a suit for money damages based upon assault is 1 year in MD, so your suit is stale and would be subject to dismissal on that basis. I don't know what kind of a "report" you were thinking of, if it wasn't a lawsuit. You could seek a civil protection order, but if this was the most recent incident, and you've been in her presence since then without incident, it probably wouldn't be granted. If you can't sit down with her and possibly other family members to try and come to an understanding about this, it would probably be best to not attend the reunion, or if you must attend for your husband's sake, to do what is necessary to keep your distance from her.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms