Maryland  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/19/13, 12:16 pm

My husband is being held for deportation. He came here on a student visa, did not finish school. And in 2012 was arrested for burglary and served a year. What chance is there that he will not be deported? What can we done to keep him in the USA

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/19/13, 8:00 pm by James Brown

The most important factor is whether the crime he committed would be classified as an aggravated felony under federal law. If it is, he would almost certainly be deported unless he was able to vacate the conviction or get a pardon. If the crime is not an aggravated felony under federal law, he may be able to avoid deportation, it would depend on knowing all the facts.

The first step is to retain an immigration attorney to look at your husband's court file and determine whether his conviction for burglary under the relevant state statute would be classified as an aggravated felony under the INA.

This email is for general information purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Brown Law Practice, PLLC 4518 Court Square, Ste. 400 Long Island City, NY 11101

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search