Maryland  |  Real Estate Law

I own a rental property and have a management company who handles everything for me. I received a call that the AC was broken and needed repair. Repairmen went out and discovered there is no access to the AC equipment from the unit I own. In order to fix the AC, the condo association is telling me that I have to spend $2500 to build an access door so that my repairmen can fix the issue. Is it my responsibility to build an access door? Shouldn't this have been done when the building was constructed 30+ years ago?

Answered on: 7/15/13, 6:27 pm by Phillip M. Cook

Check the condo declaration and see what your easement rights are for maintenance, repair, and replacement. Hire a lawyer if you want satisfaction that the condo association is playing by the rules. Best of luck.

Cook Legal Services, LLC 1130 Piedmont Avenue, NE #1403 Atlanta, GA 30309

Answered on: 7/16/13, 4:40 am by Thomas Valkenet

The answer is in the condo association documents, and in your deed. There should be access easements for all unit owners to common equipment areas, or to the roof areas where the units may be located. That's as detailed as you get without a review of your documents. You should also consider making a title insurance claim if access is being denied.

Young & Valkenet 600 Wyndhurst Avenue, Suite 230 Baltimore, MD 21210