Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

I own a rental property and have a management company who handles everything for me. I received a call that the AC was broken and needed repair. Repairmen went out and discovered there is no access to the AC equipment from the unit I own. In order to fix the AC, the condo association is telling me that I have to spend $2500 to build an access door so that my repairmen can fix the issue. Is it my responsibility to build an access door? Shouldn't this have been done when the building was constructed 30+ years ago?

Asked on 7/15/13, 3:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Check the condo declaration and see what your easement rights are for maintenance, repair, and replacement. Hire a lawyer if you want satisfaction that the condo association is playing by the rules. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/15/13, 6:27 pm
Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The answer is in the condo association documents, and in your deed. There should be access easements for all unit owners to common equipment areas, or to the roof areas where the units may be located. That's as detailed as you get without a review of your documents. You should also consider making a title insurance claim if access is being denied.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/13, 4:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now