Maryland  |  Traffic Law

If I thought I scratch a car that was parked almost directly under a street light after 9pm on Friday; I, the person in prosession of the car & 1 other person checked it out & all agreed there was nothing wrong only to turn around on Saturday afternoon & state the mirror was scratched & the lamp cover on the mirror is now cracked; can you truly say I was at fault. The car is parked on a very busy street & mirrors are damaged everyday. Should I now take the charge or fight it out in court? Thank you

Answered on: 7/14/13, 8:06 am by William Welch

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

William L. Welch, III Attorney 111 South Calvert Street, Suite 2700 Baltimore, MD 21202

Answered on: 7/14/13, 8:22 am by Steven Scheinin

In my opinion, since the burden of proof is on the State to prove the charge, you always fight the charge.

Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer 305 W. Chesapeake Avenue Towson, MD 21204

Answered on: 7/14/13, 10:16 am by Jason Cleckner

ALWAYS fight this charge. Don't ever plead guilty to anything until you have no choice. Are you saying that the person who owned the car looked at it with you and determined there was no damage? Are you charged with leaving the scene of an accident? If so, that's ridiculous, and you need a good lawyer to put these cops and prosecutors in their place!

Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC 110 N. Washington Street, Suite 400 Rockville, MD 20850