Maryland  |  Wills and Trusts

Handling Outstanding Debt for Decessed

My mother passed away a few months ago and I am the party responsible for her estate. She had no assets or insurance to take care of any of her debts and now the creditors are contacting me for payment. What are my responsiblities to these creditor on paying this debt. With only my own income to pay for these debts if I can not make payment on her debts can this affect my credit rating. Also, should I retain a lawyer to handle these issues.

Answered on: 2/04/08, 11:04 am by Carter Ferrington

Re: Handling Outstanding Debt for Decessed

Even as the personal representative of your mother's estate, you are not responsible for paying your mother's debts from your own funds. However,putting the estate issue aside for a moment, if you took on debt jointly with your mother (co-signing on loans for example) you would likely be responsible for debts that you agreed to take on independent of your status as the personal representative of your mother's estate. You will probably want to work with an estate attorney to settle the estate and the state or county bar association can help you find one.

Bar Adon Vogel PLLC 1642 R Street, NW Washington, Dc, DC 20009