Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland


I am a divorced mother of 3 adult children. I have a simple will. If I remarry is there any way (perhaps by establishing a trust) to leave my children my assests (either including or excluding my house) without signing a prenuptial agreement? Anotherwords, can I get something set up in advance? This is if I do not want to disclose my assets to a future husband.

Asked on 5/02/05, 6:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard S. Stolker Uptown Law, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Trusts

Transferring assets to a trust prior to a marriage will effectively remove the assets from your estate. Whether you want to disclose those assets to a subsequent spouse, or whether you want to undo the trust later, is entirely up to you.

Please phone if I can be of assistance.

Read more
Answered on 5/03/05, 11:10 am
G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Trusts

A trust may be a beneficial alternative. Other alternatives may exist. Each alternative will have related pros and cons. You should discuss this with an attorney.

Given your objective of providing assets to your children, you should understand other associated matters. In this regard a pre-nuptial agreement may also provide benefit.

You should discuss these matters with an attorney so that you better understand your situation and the effect of the option(s) you select.

Joe Holthaus

(410) 750-2567

Read more
Answered on 5/02/05, 6:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now