Legal Question in Immigration Law in Massachusetts


I am on OPT Cap-Gap Extensions, initial OPT expried on May 31st '13. H1-B (received approval notice in April) supposed to start on October 1st '13. Though June, 11th I got laid-off by my current employer. I was in impression that I have 90 days to find a job.

Would you please let me know how much time I have to find another employer? And how to get H1-B transferred to new employer?

1. What happens after withdrawal of H1-B by employer A?

2. Can I find company B who can file H1-B petition for me?

3. Do I have a deadline to find a new job/employer?

I have done some research -->

(Eligibility Under Cap-Gap Rule)

Sorry for bothering you during 4th weekend.


Asked on 7/07/13, 2:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should have been advised by the H-1B employer's attorney of the effects of your lay off on your legal status in the United States.

That being said, you are not in H-1B status currently, so you cannot "transfer" to another H-1B employer at this time.

Once the F-1 status terminates, you have a 60 days grace period to change status or leave the country.

If you have a STEM qualifying degree, you can extend your OPT, as long as you can find another employer before the grace period expires.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 5:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Massachusetts

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now