Massachusetts  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Why is the following lease clause so important? How can I make it less dangerous for the tenant (it has to remain in the contract, but may be editable)?

"Should it become necessary for Landlord to employ an attorney to enforce any of the conditions or covenants hereof, including the collection of rentals or gaining possession of the Premises, Tenant agrees to pay all expenses so incurred, including a reasonable attorneys' fee."

Answered on: 7/20/13, 10:54 am by Jonathan Roth

If you want to be able to recover your attorney fees for eviction or otherwise, you need a clause like the one you sent.

Attorney address not available

Answered on: 7/21/13, 5:56 am by Christopher Vaughn-Martel

Generally, so long as the terms of the contract do not violate any specific law, your lease agreement terms of negotiable. This provision would permit the recovery of attorney's fees under certain circumstances. There are a number of things you might be able to do, but I would invite you to schedule an office consultation if you would like specific legal advice.

VAUGHN-MARTEL LAW 1180 Washington Street, Suite 101 Boston, MA 02118