Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

I signed an a lease for a room in August. After discovering the room was less than desirable i informed my landlord about 4 days later I wished to terminate the lease. He agreed under the condition that I pay my first months rent. I agreed and he refunded my last and security. Today, sept 20 he is saying that I owe him money for October because the room has not yet been rented out. When I replied that the matter was settled he said I was legally obligated to pay but he would be willing to let the whole thing slide if I just gave him 225 dollars. Should I have to pay at all? Should I take the deal? I feel like I'm just being taken advantage of and everything should be settled. But I did sign a lease. What should I do?

James Thomas Kinder Law Office of James Thomas Kinder

Although you had a lease (contract) it appears, from the facts you've provided, that a new agreement was entered into. He returned your last and security. It is clear that he no longer expects you to be in the property. -- if he did, he would have kept the last and security. If the facts are as you stated, I would stand firm. If he persists, contact an attorney to advise you.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms