Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Massachusetts

I own a house that I rented for many years and now want to renovate and make my primary residence. I've gutted the first floor and started doing electrical, plumbing,etc with some friends when someone informed me I should have permits for all this work I'm doing. I thought as the homeowner I could do what I wanted to the home, but after doing some research I've discovered I was ignorant and didn't perform due diligence. In MA you are required to be licensed to do plumbing and electrical. What do I do now and how much trouble am I in? Should I tear out the plumbing and electrical and go get the permits? What about the demolition/gutting I've done, Should I have gotten a permit? Am I in trouble? Should I hire a lawyer?

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Permits and licensing are two separate but related matters. You need a permit because the municipality needs to know that you are doing the work properly. A homeowner can do work on his own home without a license. However, you still need the permit. Don't tear out any work. Go to Town Hall or City Hall and get a permit.

You need permits for any plumbing and electrical work. Also for structural work requires permits including roof replacement. Go to town hall check with them and the building dept.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Massachusetts

Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessRiverside, San Bernardino & LA, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA