Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Massachusetts

In Massachusetts,

I had a tenant is was renting a room in my residence to for the last year. It was an "At-Will"rental. It was a verbal agreement. She started falling behind on her rent and after 3 months of non-payment I gave her a 30 written notice to terminate. I personally handed her the notice and a couple of days later she skipped on the back payment and left all her belongings behind.

What are my options 1. to get paid back rent and 2. what can i do with her belongings?

You have two problems, verbal contracts are difficult to prove. But you can sue her in district court or housing court.

Under landlord tenant law, you will be required to put her things in a bonded storage facility and pay the first months rent, which you would add to her debt.

If you can find out where she is, I would demand she come pick up her things or send them to her. That is cheaper than putting them in storage.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Massachusetts