Mexico  |  International Law

Mexican Timeshare Stop Payment

On 12/9/2007 we signed a timeshare contract with Mayan Palace in Cancun Mexico. We were fraudulently told that we could not cancel the contract after it was signed however this was untrue since we cant wave that right. It has now been over 30 days since we signed the contract and where wondering what steps we could take.

Our Situation

1. Its been 30 days since we signed a timeshare contract with the Mayan Palace in Cancun Mexico. They are part of the Mayan group which has office in Mexico and Texas.

2. We made an initial deposit of 15000 on credit cards and have begun a fraud claim with Bank of America which issued the cards while there. I dont have much hope though as they did not include documents were we waived that right.

3. We currently still own aroun 28000 on the timeshare.

4. Mayan Resorts (Groupo Maya) Mayan Palace has offices in Mexico and one in Texas. In the contract it states that the contract falls under Mexican law and they will do anything to recover the money if defaulted on the contract

My question is if we simply dont pay the remaining balance what can happen to us here in the U.S. can they ruin our credit here or do they not have jurisdiction for this contract since it was signed in Mexico?