Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

Property transfer

My father who lived in Arizona for over 20yrs. passed away earlier this year and has property in MI. that I would like to have transfered into my name. Since I live in Arizona, can that be done from this end or will I have to have this taken care of in MI?

Gregory J. Roth Gregory J. Roth, PLLC

Re: Property transfer

Please accept my condolences regarding the death of your father. You will likely have to commence the estate proceedings in Arizona, where your faither died, unless, as other counsel has noted, his estate would qualify as a "small estate" in Michigan. Then once the Arizona estate is opened, you would need to administer the Michigan property by way of an ancillary (supplemental) estate here. I am unclear if your father had real or just personal property here in Michigan, but you should consult with a professional. Should you have any questions or should you require assistance, please contact me.

James Jenkins Jenkins Law Center PLC

Re: Property transfer

Please see my answer to your previous post. The probate will have to be filed in Arizona unless the estate qualifies under Michigan law for a "small estate" treatment. What about the other assets? Have they already been transfered?

You may call us at 480.835.1500 for a free initial consultation to answer all questions and resolve all issues.

Thanks,

James D. Jenkins

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan