Michigan  |  Business Law

I own my own cake business, but it is not registered as a real business, I just do it out of my home. I made a cake for a lady whose son was turning one. She had sent me a 50% deposit ($45) beforehand and when I dropped the cake off she said that it was cute and she gave me a check for the other $45. Two minutes after I left, she calle me twice and left me voicemails both times expressing how unhappy she was with the cake. I admit..it wasnt my best work and it wasn't exactly how she wanted it but I told her everything that would look different before I did the cake. Long story short, she said she hid the cake and never used it but I could have it back because she wants her money back. I feel like I made the cake and delivered it so I did my part and told her that I do not do refunds but I would be happy to make her something else to make it up to her. She then told me that she would tell her lawyer if I didn't refund her. Would she be able to sue me over a $90 cake?

Answered on: 8/19/13, 5:27 am by Timothy Klisz

Could she, yes. Would she, I highly douby it. A phone call to the lawyer could cost more. Or she could file in small claims court.

Klisz Law Office, PLLC 39111 W. Six Mile Rd. Livonia, MI 48152