Michigan  |  Civil Rights Law

I have been placed on teather I'm not on probation or paroll I have no charges I'm not in trouble a judge wanted me to testify and I didn't want to so I was arrested jailed for 6 days and u did testify and he placed me on teather with all the rules if a parollie I can't work I want to know if his is legal I have no pending charges or current charges thank you Kendra west

Answered on: 8/11/13, 6:09 pm by Christopher Brown

It is "legal" under the material witness statute see below.

767.35 Material witness in criminal case; danger of loss of testimony; requiring witness to enter into recognizance with surety; commitment to jail.

Sec. 35.

When it appears to a court of record that a person is a material witness in a criminal case pending in a court in the county and that there is a danger of the loss of testimony of the witness unless the witness furnishes bail or is committed if he or she fails to furnish bail, the court shall require the witness to be brought before the court. After giving the witness an opportunity to be heard, if it appears that the witness is a material witness and that there is a danger of the loss of his or her testimony unless the witness furnishes bail or is committed, the court may require the witness to enter into a recognizance with a surety in an amount determined by the court for the appearance of the witness at an examination or trial. If the witness fails to recognize, he or she shall be committed to jail by the court, until he or she does recognize or is discharged by order of the court

I don't understand the "I can't work" statement. If there are issues with the tether you can have them addressed by bringing the proper motion before the court. If you have any questions locate my contact number.

Brown & Associates, Legal Services, PLLC 5600 New King Drive, Suite 365 Troy, MI 48098