Legal Question in Construction Law in Michigan

leaking roof

We had our home built in 1999. The roof has developed an ice dam every year which creates a large leak that ruins the drywall in the bathroom and leaks all the way into the basement. I have contacted the general contractor (who also designed the house) and he has come out every year and tried one fix after another. i feel the problem is with the design of the roof but he continues to do cheap fixes. Is there anything i can do?

Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC

Re: leaking roof

It would depend on the terms of your contract with him, such as how long your warranty is. If you pursued legal action against him, you'd need to hire an expert to inspect his work and opine that his work was insufficient and is not fixing the problem - and of course determine that the problem is a design defect or something related to his work, and not another issue.

If you decide to retain a lawyer, feel free to contact me to set up an appointment. I charge hourly and would require a retainer up front - I do not take these kinds of cases on a contingency basis.

Good luck.

Thanks.

More Construction Law questions and answers in Michigan

Construction Law Legal Forms