Legal Question in Consumer Law in Michigan

Ridiculous electricity bill

My parents moved into a home(july 2007) sold to them by a deceased friends son and my mother had called the electricity company to inform them to switch the electricity and whatnot, and the ladys son was supposed to infor them she was deceased. They continued to send bills and the ladys name and of course she never opened them and never receieved a bill in her name untill november 2008. What the company did was just slap on the charges from the whole time and put it on her bill which ended up becoming close to $5,000. How does a company even let a bill go that far without shutting off the service and what can my mother do?

Rochelle Guznack Law Offices of Rochelle E. Guznack, PLLC

Re: Ridiculous electricity bill

Your mother will have to work this out with the electric company. Surely she realized that DTE bills were arriving in the prior owner's name and that she did not receive any bills nor did she pay for the electricity she used. This could indicate an intent to deceive to an outsider, but I am sure your mother has a logical explanation. She should call the electric company and give her side of the story.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Michigan

Consumer Law Legal Forms