Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Michigan

How can I recover money loaned to a friend who lives in a different state? I started lending the money when I lived in MA and he lived with me in MA, then he moved back to MI where I continued to lend him money until I moved to IL. Currently, I live in IL and he lives in MI. Should I get an attorney in MA, MI, or IL? Any other recommendations? I have a document that he agreed to electronically stating that he will repay me the full amount (it is over $10,000). I have yet to receive a payment. Thanks!

Asked on 12/06/12, 10:22 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brad Lambert Lambert & Lambert PLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You want to collect in Michigan, because that is where the borrower and presumably the borrower's money is. You should hire Michigan counsel.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/12, 10:27 am
Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, Michigan is the proper venue because that is where he is located. I would be happy to help as collections is one of my areas of practice. Tim Klisz

Read more
Answered on 12/06/12, 11:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now