Michigan  |  Criminal Law

I used a bail bondsman to get a friend out because I didn't have enough money for the whole thing. Upon hearing my friend got bonded out the dectives put him back in jail on a new warrant that they issues. If we have the judge revoke his earlier bond will I still have to pay that bond?

Answered on: 10/01/13, 4:15 pm by Jared Austin

If you agreed to be responsible for that bond and the bond was revoked by the judge, you could be liable for the entire amount.

Austin Legal Services, PLC 909 N. Washington Ave. Lansing, MI 48906

Answered on: 10/03/13, 1:37 pm by Edward Sternisha

No. If the judge revokes the bond and does not have a show-cause hearing for a bond violation, you would not owe the court the full bond amount. You should contact the bondsman (or bondswoman) and sign to cancel your liability on the bond while he is currently locked up. The bondsperson should then go to the jail and/or court and file the necessary paperwork to cancel the bond. As a former owner of a bail bond business, I did this often. Keep in mind, if you do nothing, and the defendant bonds out on the new charges, you could still be liable for your bond. Good luck!

Law Office of Edward J. Sternisha, PLLC 448 Leonard St NW Grand Rapids, MI 49504