Michigan  |  Discrimination Law

I have some questions and concerns regarding my rights as a single mother in the workplace. I was hired by a major resort hotel on an island back in December, 2012 to work as a cook in one of their restaurants. My first day of employment was April 2nd, 2013. Human Resources was informed well in advance that I have 2 children living with me and that I would be commuting from the mainland once the ferries became available. I started commuting this week and I was called to the office of the head chef in the main hotel yesterday and informed that they believe it would be in my best interest to seek employment on the mainland due to the cost of commuting, which I pay from my own pocket.

My commuting is not the real issue here - why would they care what I'm willing to pay for the experience of working there?

I am currently working under the head chef of this satellite restaurant who stated this evening, "I know how it is. I have kids, too. People with kids call in if kids are sick. I can't have that." I do not believe they have any grounds to fire me, but I have essentially been asked to quit on the basis that I have children and am therefore unreliable, which I have in no way demonstrated thus far.

Is this legal?

Thank you.