Michigan  |  Family Law

6 month waiting period

I am in the middle of a 6 month waiting period for my divorce. My husband and I have cleared all issues and are ready for the final court appearance. All FOC documents have been processed.

I would like to move up our court appearance by 1 month (making it a 5 month period instead of 6 month), how do I go about doing that? What forms/procedure do I need to go through to make this happen? Do I go directly to the Judge and ask? Does it also depend on the Judge to whether or not he/she will see you early?

Answered on: 2/01/05, 7:10 pm by William Stern

Re: 6 month waiting period

Some judges will waive the period, others will not. Talk to the judges Clerk. then if the judge allows it, ask to waive the period based upon the children's best interests. William S. Stern 248-353-9400

William Stern, P.C. 24750 Lahser Road Southfield, MI 48033

Answered on: 2/01/05, 8:56 pm by Jesse Sweeney

Re: 6 month waiting period

If you're represented by an attorney, contact your counsel. If not, you should be able to just call the judge's clerk to schedule a time to place the proofs on the record, clearing the way for the judgment to be entered after the period has ended.

Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C. 29777 Telegraph, Suite 2500 Southfield, MI 48034

Answered on: 2/03/05, 9:54 am by Blake Lipman

Re: 6 month waiting period

I assume you and ex-spouse are not using an attorney. You can motion the court for entry of judgment and ask the court to waive the 6 mo. waiting period. I would call the judge's clerk and inquire if the judge is inclined under the circumstances to waive this requirement before you file your motion. For more info, please feel free to contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Law Office of Blake P. Lipman 31275 Northwestern Hwy. Suite 140 Farmington Hills, MI 48334