Michigan  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/21/12, 4:19 pm

I am custodial parent in Michigan (now remarried) with a 9 year old. I was given the tax exemption when the divorce was final by the judge. Now after 9 years the other parent wants the tax exemption. Today I went to court on this matter and before going before a new Judge, we had to meet with FOC referee. The Referee told me he had the athority to take this exeption from me and give it to the other parent. Last year I had minor child 340 days out of the year. This year I will have minor child for 290 days of the year. The referee also stated because my gross income is less than other he could award it to other parent. Please note my combined income with my current husband we file jointly is more than other parents. Please advice

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search