Michigan  |  Family Law

Was Homeless and Behind on Child Support

I was homeless for four months and behind on child support for a year. I recently just got a full-time job and a place to live. Since I have had no contact with my child for four months do I lose my visition which was every other weekend. As since I was homeless will the court try and take my rights away. What can I do about the back child support? Looking for a lawyer to held this matter for me.

Answered on: 2/03/05, 3:23 pm by Blake Lipman

Re: Was Homeless and Behind on Child Support

Support payments and parenting time are separate issues and the court should treat them as such. You should contact your ex-spouse and request parenting time. Make sure you have a safe environment for the exercise of your parenting time. For more info, please contact my office at (248)851-3171.

Law Office of Blake P. Lipman 31275 Northwestern Hwy. Suite 140 Farmington Hills, MI 48334

Answered on: 2/03/05, 3:31 pm by Gregory J. Roth

The issues of support and visitation are (or should be) independent from each other. Regarding visiation, you should seek to resume visitation as soon as possible, as allowed by the court order, to prevent any negative impact on your visiation rights. Enforcement may be made against you for support, especially if you are over two months in arrears. If you have any further questions, please contact me at www.lawgreg.com or (248) 305-5840.

Gregory J. Roth, PLLC 42705 Grand River Avenue, Suite 201 Novi, MI 48346

Answered on: 2/03/05, 3:42 pm by Jesse Sweeney

Without a subsequent order I cannot imagine that your parental rights to visitation would be suspended. As for the back child support, there may be a way to have it reduced for the time you were homeless and unemployed. Feel free to call for more information 1-888-31-SWEENEY

Sweeney Law Offices, P.L.L.C. 29777 Telegraph, Suite 2500 Southfield, MI 48034