Michigan  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/23/11, 9:22 am

My sister no longer "wants" her daughter. The father has long ago signed over sole custody to her, so she is currently the only legal guardian. How would I go about obtaining custody of niece? Would it be necessary for me to go through an adoption process?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/24/11, 6:22 am by Miles Murphy

There is a process to go through when getting custody of a child. If the mother wants to sign over her rights to you, going through the “adoption” phase would not be necessary, rather, there is certain paperwork that will have to be filled out with the Court. You can fill out paperwork for temporary guardianship or if you want to go for the full guardianship then this will have to be done through the court system. I would suggest calling Sherry from our firm to schedule a office consultation to help you fill out the right paperwork.


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Plachta, Murphy & Associates, P.C. 124 E Fulton, Ste 100 Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search