Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Michigan

I cancelled our family renunion contract with a local hotel connected to a casino after the death of the oldest family member. The contract arrangement was that each person would call for their own room at the prearranged price as I could not afford to be debt for their rooms. Icancelled the renunion thirty days in advance of the event as a number of us had to go to another state for the funeral and were in no mood to celebrate. I arranged the renunion and now I am told I will be charged $2500 for all of the nights as there is no cancellation because I put them in harm. I know the hotel was sold out for the time we were to be there (4th of July week). Do I have any recourse? I have an obituary and they can go on line to the funeral home to see my name listed as a survivor. Michele in Michigan

William Stern William Stern, P.C.

Let them sue you. If they harm your credit, then that is a different story.

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

I'm sorry for your loss. But I can't evaluate the hotel's claims without seeing the contract and knowing more about what happened. The fact that you cancelled because of a death in the family should make the hotel reluctant to charge you, but it probably does not take away any of their rights. What those rights are will depend upon what happened and what the contract says.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Michigan

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms