Legal Question in Immigration Law in Michigan

I am working as an engineer at one of the biggest automaker. I am here with J-1 visa. Despite this is a training visa, I am working no different than other engineers here.

I want to stay more but my visa sponsor told me, my company and I agreed not to pursue H1 or L1 visa during my J1. And I cannot be granted a second J1 before 2 years (this is unrelated to 2-year home residency rule).

How can I stay in the US longer legally?

Asked on 4/29/13, 7:04 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Feel free to call us at 734.779.1662 after 4PM for a more detailed discussion. There are a lot more questions here. We'll begin with your nationality...


Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 7:59 am
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Since the H-1B cap has been met for the year, that is not a possibility.

Based on the information you have provided, I cannot tell if you would qualify for an L-1A or L-1B.

If you are a Canadian or Mexican national, then you probably would qualify for a TN, assuming you are not subject to the 2 yr foreign residency requirement on your J visa.

If you are an Australian national, you might qualify for an E-3.

If your employer is interested in exploring other non-immigrant visa options for you, and they do not already have counsel, they are welcome to contact my office.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 12:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now