Michigan  |  Immigration Law

I am working as an engineer at one of the biggest automaker. I am here with J-1 visa. Despite this is a training visa, I am working no different than other engineers here.

I want to stay more but my visa sponsor told me, my company and I agreed not to pursue H1 or L1 visa during my J1. And I cannot be granted a second J1 before 2 years (this is unrelated to 2-year home residency rule).

How can I stay in the US longer legally?

Answered on: 4/29/13, 7:59 am by JASSI SACHDEV

Feel free to call us at 734.779.1662 after 4PM for a more detailed discussion. There are a lot more questions here. We'll begin with your nationality...

JS

LAW OFFICES OF JASSI S. SACHDEV, P.C. 39111 W. Six Mile Road, Suite 107 Livonia, MI 48152

Answered on: 4/29/13, 12:46 pm by Marlene Hemmings

Since the H-1B cap has been met for the year, that is not a possibility.

Based on the information you have provided, I cannot tell if you would qualify for an L-1A or L-1B.

If you are a Canadian or Mexican national, then you probably would qualify for a TN, assuming you are not subject to the 2 yr foreign residency requirement on your J visa.

If you are an Australian national, you might qualify for an E-3.

If your employer is interested in exploring other non-immigrant visa options for you, and they do not already have counsel, they are welcome to contact my office.

Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law 23371 Mulholland Drive, Suite 294 Woodland Hills, 91364