Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Michigan

I went to Meijer gas station and left my Baker One Debit Mastercard next to the machine where you swipe the card. I realized it was gone and went back within 45 minutes to find the cashier reported the card stolen and cut it up. My mom has liver cancer and only has a couple of months to live so I was on my way to be with her in Ohio (I'm in MI). Without my card I am unable to get any money or make purchases until a new card arrives in 5-7 business days. I called & spoke with a manager. He took my name & number & called me back within moments apologizing saying they would pay the $25.00 fee to issue a new card & I don't need proof. It is their policy that if a card is left behind in the gas station it is taken to the service desk inside the store and placed into a safe until the owner of the card comes to retrieve it. I called another Meijer gas station and was told that as well as told by the manager I spoke to that is their policy. He said she is a new employee but that doesn't help my new current situaiton.

I'm a full time student with no other money, can't go to be with my mom as I planned to & am wondering if there is anything else that can be done? Should Meijer also be responsible since I have no access to money for the next 5-7 days until a new card arrives? Any advice would be great!

Thomas Loeb Law Offices of Thomas M. Loeb

Meijer's policy is a good one. They are not responsible, at all.

-Tom

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Michigan