Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

renters rights

I am behind in my rent and received a summons that says I must pay the rent owed or the landlord ''may choose to evict you''. If the rent owed is not payed in the specified time, what is the next step in the eviction process? When thay do decide to evict, do they put something on your door, or does a sheriff just show up, un-announced and say get out now? If it is a notice that is put on the door, how long do I have to get out?

Asked on 5/14/07, 11:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: renters rights

Contact CALL (Counsel & Advocacy Law Line). They can walk you through it and see what your alternatives might be for free.

Read more
Answered on 5/23/07, 5:51 pm
Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: renters rights

The court will schedule the matter for a hearing, and at that time, if you have not paid the rent, the court will issue an eviction order at the Landlord's request.

The landlord will get an eviction order that same day, which gives you 7 or 10 days to get out. You will be served with the eviction order, which will have the "you must be out by ___" date on it. If you still fail to leave by that date, then yes, a sheriff or the landlord can show up, legally enter the premises, and remove your belongings.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/07, 8:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now