Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Michigan

My sister and I own a house that was willed to us from our mother, our father is also deceased. The house is paid for, all expense for maintaining the house, i.e. taxes, natural gas hook up and all bills will be paid by my husband and myself My husband and I are moving into this house soon, it has been vacant for almost 5 years so we put a lot of money into renovations so that is is livable. No one has stayed in this house since my mothers death and now that my husband and I are moving in my sister, who lives in Tennessee, who owns the house with me, has been coming to Michigan a lot and expects for her and her husband to stay with us and have a key and access to the house whenever she likes. All belongings in the house are owned by my husband and I. If we are living there does she have a right to access the house anytime she likes?

Asked on 7/28/13, 2:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy Klisz Klisz Law Office, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. You need to buy her out of her 1/2 interest so you don't run into these problems. If she not sell, you will need to head to court unfortunately.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/13, 8:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now