Michigan  |  Traffic Law

alleged leaving the scene of parking lot fender bender

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and received a certified letter from GRPD saying a car owned and/or operated by me was involved in a motor accident (HRR) on 1/11/09. And that I must report to police station in person by 1/19/09 to complete investigation. I'm terrified!I was not involved in a motor accident that night. The letter said the accident happened on a street intersection around 1am. I was parked in a restaurant parking lot that night on the corner of that intersection. I've been racking my brain and the only thing I can think that happened is I bumped/hit someone's car when backing out of the snow filled, over crowed, cars parked illegally parking lot that night? I think I would know if I hit a car and would've noticed damage to my car. I wouldn't smash into someone's car and leave. I have consulted a few people and they've said it's a misdameanor with possible jail time and fines. Is this true? do I need a lawyer? I planned on going down to police station tomorrow, but am terrified and don't know what to say for fear I'll say the wrong thing, etc. Please advise what do to. Thanks

Answered on: 1/16/09, 2:12 pm by Audra Arndt

Re: alleged leaving the scene of parking lot fender bender

You should cooperate with the police, but do not let them convince you of something that you didn't do or don't remember. You may wish to bring an attorney with you or, if they are pressuring you into admitting to something you didn't do, you can terminate the interview and tell them you want to come back at another time. It sounds like you didn't really do anything wrong, and they are simply doing their job by following up.

However, interviews are just like we see on TV - police often convince people or something they didn't do, or twist the facts around.

If you get charged with anything, definitely contact me to discuss further.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC 6689 Orchard Lake Road #284 West Bloomfield, MI 48322

Answered on: 1/15/09, 10:21 pm by Jack Jaffe

Yes, there is a possibility of jail time. You should have a lawyer if you speak to the police. If you would like to contact my office, please call 248.588.2297.

Legal Center of Jack L. Jaffe 30685 Barrington Suite 130 Madison Heights, MI 48071