Michigan  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/08/11, 1:54 pm

My daughter, age 24, recently was arested for drug and alcohol abuse and was submitted to a hospital, she was there about a week. She decided not to move back in but instead moved in with a boyfriend and took very little with her. That is fine and all but I was expecting her to get the rest of her stuff, but istead she and him decided to hobo-it-out around the US so now im stuck with her stuff while shes out doing whatever. It has been 3 months since the arest and now. how can i legally get rid of her things?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/08/11, 10:10 pm by Audra Arndt

Yes - it's been a reasonable amount of time and there was no agreement for you to store or hold on to her property. For extra protection, I'd send a letter to her last known address(es) stating you will be disposing of her items within ten days. I assume it's nothing of value - just junk, clothes, garbage, or you'd be having a garage sale and not throwing it out or donating it. Regardless, unless there's an agreement to the contrary, you have no obligation to hold onto her property and, like I said, it's been 3 months - not like it's been 3 days. Courts use the "reasonable person" standard - would a reasonable person expect you to hold onto his or her property for more than 3 months in this type of situation? No, especially if you give her notice, or at least try to. You could also call her or text her - some kind of communication that gives you a paper trail or proof that you at least tried to give her notice.

Good luck with your situation. Good for you for putting your foot down and not enabling her.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC 6689 Orchard Lake Road #284 West Bloomfield, MI 48322

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search