Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

placing a lien (property)

Is it possible to place a lien on someones home for monies owed to a 10 yr. old heir?

Asked on 12/03/08, 7:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Hill Kreis, Enderle, Hudgins, & Borsos, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: placing a lien (property)

Typically you cannot simply lien the property of someone who owes you money without a judgment (unless you have an agreement or are a construction contractor). The state and IRS can also lien property, generally for taxes.

If the monies are truly owed to you (or the heir), then you can obtain a judgment lien (after filing suit). You have a variety options to enforce this judgment lien - including garnishment and property repo. While your question is vague on details, my best guess is that you will first need a court order to collect whatever money is owed.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/08, 7:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now