Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Minnesota

My father is mentally ill. He has been committed to stay in the psychiatric ward of a hospital for the next six months. My sister and I filed for conservator/guardianship to start figuring out his finances because he is severely in debt (credit companies keep calling, cant do anything about it). A hearing date is set. I recently received a letter saying my father's mother (80+ yrs old) and his sister filed for conservator/guardianship, but they have not been consistantly in my father's life for the past 26 years, as they live in a far away state. They've hired a lawyer, we haven't. We are worried because they want to move him away from us and I do not trust them handling his money, either. Lots of family drama revolving around them. I am wondering, what factors will the judge take into consideration when determining the conservator/guardianship?

Melvin Peterson 763-424-6442

It is best to hired an attorney and file your own petition

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Minnesota