Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Minnesota

Contempt for non-disclosure

We failed to submit the non-disclosure form back in time for the creditor seeking payment. We have been ordered to court for contempt - what will happen with this?

David Kelly-952-544-6356 Kelly Law Office

Re: Contempt for non-disclosure

Well, I have to guess a bit about what your question is about because I don't know anything about what a nondisclosure form is.

My guess is that you are talking about a disclosure form that is being used by a judgement creditor who wants to know about your assets and income. You were probably court ordered to respond. Now since you have not responded, you are looking at contempt.

The judge could put you in jail for this; but they hardly ever do in my experience. I used to do that kind of collection work myself. When I would arrive at the contempt hearing, the judge would say well there's the person you wanted the info from, why don't you sit down with them now and ask your questions. If I could tell the judge that I received the info I was looking for, the judge would often just let them go.

I can't tell you that you should count on this outcome, however. What you should do is respond to the disclosure form right away - way before you get to the hearing - and bring a copy of that to the hearing.

OR you could file a bankruptcy. A bankruptcy would stop the whole thing. You would not have to go to the contempt hearing if it was filed in time.

My contact info is at http://www.mn-bankruptcy.com. Good luck. This does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is for information purposes only.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms