Minnesota  |  Credit and Debt Law

How to collect

I have a client who owes my company for services rendered. What can I do or what steps do I take to get payment. His last payment was last Oct and I keep sending statements to him on a monthly basis.

Answered on: 8/09/06, 10:20 am by CHAD BOLINSKE

Re: How to collect

Generally, you would send out a demand letter indicating that you will be turning the file over to an attorney if payment is not received within 30 days. You could also give your client a call to see if a payment plan can be worked out or to inquire as to why the bill has not been paid. Finally, you should turn the account over to a law firm to collect the amount owed, you should be able to find an attorney willing to take your file on a contingency fee basis depending on the size of the balance. The attorney would then be able to demand payment on your behalf and file suit if appropriate and with your approval. Your best option right away is to attempt to get the matter settled yourself with a letter and a phone call. Contact me if you have any additional questions regarding how to collect your outstanding bill.

BOLINSKE & BOLINSKE, PLLC 1660 South Hwy 100 Suite 508 St. Louis Park, MN 55416