Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

i was charged with contempt of court and sentenced to 24 hrs in jail for swearing in the court room 2 weeks ago. Now today i received a citation and letter from the sheriff dept. stating that i am being charged with a disorderly conduct for the same incident of the the contempt and need to appear in court for it and i am wondering if that's legal? i am confused because that sounds like double jeopardy to me

Asked on 10/16/12, 2:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If I had a case like this, I would research the law of defenses like double jeopardy, as well as others, applicable in my client's situation. It seems possible - though contempt can be civil or criminal.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/12, 9:20 pm
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Contempt may be civil, which seems likely given the facts presented. If it is not civil, it would seem that there may be a viable constitutional argument related to double jeopardy assuming you were convicted of a criminal charge of contempt which would require a plea or a trial where you are found guilty.

For a consultation call 612.240.8005.

Read more
Answered on 10/21/12, 9:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88563 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now