Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

i was charged with contempt of court and sentenced to 24 hrs in jail for swearing in the court room 2 weeks ago. Now today i received a citation and letter from the sheriff dept. stating that i am being charged with a disorderly conduct for the same incident of the the contempt and need to appear in court for it and i am wondering if that's legal? i am confused because that sounds like double jeopardy to me

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services

If I had a case like this, I would research the law of defenses like double jeopardy, as well as others, applicable in my client's situation. It seems possible - though contempt can be civil or criminal.

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Contempt may be civil, which seems likely given the facts presented. If it is not civil, it would seem that there may be a viable constitutional argument related to double jeopardy assuming you were convicted of a criminal charge of contempt which would require a plea or a trial where you are found guilty.

For a consultation call 612.240.8005.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA