Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

age of consent

My boyfriend is 33, has 4 kids and is currently going through a divorce. I just turned 18 and we have been together for 3 years. My mom and his soon to be ex wife caught us together and is threatening to put him in jail. Although we did stuff before I was 18 can he be charged with anything since I'm now 18, I have consent, and they hav no hard evidence just what people have said?

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

Re: age of consent

The age of consent in Minnesota, for a most purposes, is 16. As a result, seual contact after the age of 16 where there is consent is not unlawful.

J. Chris Carpenter Chesley Kroon Chambers and Harvey

Re: age of consent

In Minnesota the age of consent is 16 years old. Where there is a position of authority where the older person has power over the younger person such as a teacher, step-parent, or counselor, the age of consent is 18.

Technically if the police had statements made by you, your boyfriend or some other credible evidence, your boyfriend could be charged with crimes for any incidents of sexual conduct that occurred before you were old enough to consent. However, if the only evidence is a report of an incident when you were 18 and speculation that things happened when you were younger it is not likely that he would be charged.

Answer by Attorney: Tim Stone

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota