Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

A friend of mine has 50/50 custody with an ex boyfriend over a child through the court and he is not letting his son see his mother like he suppose too. So the way I see it he breaking the court order. What can my friend do so she can see her child like she suppose too and what could happen to him for not following the court order.

Matthew Majeski Majeski Law, LLC

She can file a motion for parenting time assistance and/or contempt for violating the order. She may need to attempt to participate in mediation or other ADR with him if the custody order says it must be attempted first. If she is not comfortable doing this alone, she should consider getting the help of a family law attorney.

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

She must file a Motion for Contempt where she may seek a finding of contempt and remedial provisions including make up time for any time lost as well as an award of legal fees.

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. The starting point would be to review the exact wording of the existing court order. I urge you have your friend herself seek private attorney advice at this time, to review the court order, discuss what exactly has been occurring, and decide on the best path or paths of action. Some attorneys, myself included, will confer for free, no charge, initially. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for need. All the best to you and your loved ones.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota