Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have physical custody of our daughters and we share legal custody. Over the past 18 months my husband has made not contact the the girls and her has not paid child support in the past 15 months. The state is taking care of the child support... but my current husband would like to adopt the girls. I have tried to contact my ex but he will not return calls. How to I start the process to transfer custody in MN.

Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers

It is a rather complicated process and would require a contested trial if the other parent will not agree to terminate their parental rights. You would be seeking to terminate parental rights by filing that petition with the court and following up after that Termination of Parental Rights with a Step Parent adoption.

The process is quite simple if the othee parent afgrees to the termination and step parent

adoption.

For Minnesota issues visit divorceprofessionals.com or call 612.240.8005.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota