Legal Question in Immigration Law in Minnesota

Hello,

My fiance and I are getting married in a couple of months, but the problem is that he has an expired visitor visa. I am a U.S. Citizen, however. In addition, he is currently staying in a different state than I am. I need to know two things. First, is it safe for him to travel by an airplane locally with an expired visa? And second, about how long will the marriage application take until he receives a legal stay status? (e.g. green card). Thank you.

Mercy Sequeira Law Office of Mercy Sequeira

Green card based on marriage to a U.s. citizen can take four to six months to procure. You will need to consult with an attorney to discuss details of your fiance's case with you. My offices can advise you.. Feel free to call us at 408 245 2415.

Green card based on marriage to a U.s. citizen can take four to six months to procure. You will need to consult with an attorney to discuss details of your fiance's case with you. My offices can advise you.. Feel free to call us at 408 245 2416.

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Yes, he can travel domestically. A person only needs a photo ID to fly domestically, so a passport is not required. The visa should only be checked by CBP, not the airline, for travel in & out of the country, not between states..

You should contact a local Immigration Attorney to see what the processing times are at the local Minnesota USCIS office. Here in CA, it's under 6 mos.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Minnesota