Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Minnesota

Using semi-famous names as a product

Hello, I have a business idea that uses the names of deceased people that may have become famous (or more famous, in a few cases) had history not ignored them or their contributions to various fields of expertise.

This business idea would use their name on a product and a description of why history ignored them. All would be done in a positive light -- that is hoping to correct the person's rightful status in history for the positive contributions made in said fields.

Is it legal to use the names in this case, or must I secure the rights with families (or trusts/foundations) first?

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

Re: Using semi-famous names as a product

The answer to that question is that it depends. I think you probably better get a lawyer.

MY STANDARD DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship is intended until you and I sign a retainer agreement.

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Minnesota

Intellectual Property Legal Forms